Red Hot Mama Breakfast Burrito
We thought this would be a fitting recipe to share for Mother's Day. This one adds Andouille sausage for a little extra heat.
- ¼ cup sliced Andouille sausage
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- small bunch of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon whole or clarified butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 10-inch flour tortilla
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Core and chop 2 tomatoes. Dice the onion and 1 jalapeño. Chop the cilantro and place into a food processor with the tomatoes, onion and jalapeño. Process briefly, keeping the salsa course. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet or omelet pan over medium high heat. Sauté Andouille sausage and remaining jalapeño for 1 to 2 minutes to heat through.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and scramble with the sausage and pepper mixture. When the eggs are half cooked and runny, add half the cheese and continue to stir.
- Cook the egg mixture to desired doneness, then remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium high heat. Heat both sides of the tortilla being careful not to burn it or dry it out.
- Place heated tortilla on a pie pan. Fill the center with the cooked egg mixture. Fold the side closest to you up to center of the filling. Fold the opposite side down to the center. Fold the remaining sides, wrapping the egg filling. Turn over to cover the seams.
- Cover with the remaining cheese and place under broiler, just until cheese melts.
- Top with the tomato salsa mixture and sour cream.
Love this recipe? The Black Dog Tavern continues the tradition of great food, and friends in our The Black Dog 40th Anniversary Cookbook. You will find recipes for favorites such as Lobster Bisque, Crabcakes with Herbed Aioli, Macadamia Nut Crusted Halibut, Mocha Squares and more!
NOW AVAILABLE AT AN EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT PRICE OF $9.99 (regular 34.95)