Can't make it over to the Tavern this winter? Well, then we'll just have to bring a little taste of the Tavern straight to your kitchen! Check out our tasty Buffa-Leo Recipe...a throwback from Black Dog Cookbook circa 2000...just in time for the Superbowl!
48 chicken wings
2 sticks butter (½ pound)
2 cups of your favorite hot sauce
1 ounce Tabasco Sauce
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ cup carrot juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 jalapeño pepper
vegetable oil for deep frying
blue cheese dressing
4 celery stalks, julienned
1. Cut chicken wings at the joints into three sections. Remove wing tip and retain the drumette and flat part of wing for cooking. Set aside.
2. To prepare the sauce, melt butter and stir in the hot sauce, Tabasco Sauce, cayenne, white and black peppers, carrot juice and minced garlic. Float the whole jalapeño in the sauce. Set aside.
3. Heat two inches of oil in a cast iron pan, wok or heavy saucepan. Heat oil to 375°F. If you don't have a thermometer, test the oil by dipping part of a chicken wing into it. It should sizzle if ready.
4. Deep fry wings, a small batch at a time, until done, about five minutes. To test for doneness, cut open a wing and make sure that there's no pink inside. Drain on paper towels.
5. Toss the fried wings in the sauce to coat and serve with the blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
SERVES 6 TO 8
Interested in more recipes from our Black Dog Tavern?
Check out our 40th Anniversary Cookbook.